MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WRBL) – The Alabama Attorney General’s Business and Alabama Household Builders Licensure Board are warning individuals to be on the lookout for frauds and value gouging in the course of residence repair service or storm destruction cleanup in the wake of Hurricane Sally.
Condition officials joined Baldwin County District Attorney Robert Wilters and State Agent Matt Simpson in Fairhope, Ala. on Sept. 28 to alert coastal Alabamians about the possibility of fraud as they retain the services of workers to repair storm problems.
As customers get started the method of residence repair service, the HBLB endorses making use of certified home builders and roofers, as expected by law. On Sept, 23, HBLB Executive Director J.R. “Chip” Carden waived some demands for issuance of a roofer license, letting emergency roofers licenses to be issued in Baldwin and Cell counties.
“Based on the Governor’s disaster declaration, the Home Builders Licensure Board has activated its unexpected emergency roofer license for Cell and Baldwin Counties in an effort and hard work to speed recovery and to secure Alabama people destroyed by Hurricane Sally,” Carden explained.
The Property Builders Licensure Board and the Attorney General’s Place of work also outlined quite a few ways consumers ought to abide by when choosing a contractor for storm problems repairs.
- Individuals are encouraged to request contractors to see their HBLB license. Examples of genuine licenses are offered on the HBLB web page. Shoppers can also examine on a builder’s license status by calling 800-304-0853.
- Shoppers ought to request for a contractor’s professional references, specifically when a contractor is from out of city or helps make unsolicited make contact with.
- Less than point out legislation, licensed property-builders must use prepared contracts. The HBLB endorses receiving published confirmation of all quotes and contracts, together with the contractor’s full title, handle, phone number, and a specific description of the function to be executed.
- Consumers are warned versus creating massive down payments or complete payments upfront and inspired to only make final payments the moment they are satisfied that the work is finish.
- Buyers really should talk to contractors for evidence of coverage, together with worker’s compensation and general legal responsibility.
The Legal professional General’s Workplace also warned customers of selling price gouging in spots affected by Hurricane Sally. The state’s price gouging regulation went into influence on Sept. 14, when Governor Ivey declared a point out of crisis ahead of the storm.
“If you just take advantage of property owners by rate gouging, property and roof mend frauds, and flat thieving from them, we will prosecute you,” Wilters reported. “I stimulate inhabitants in the county to be careful and individual. Work with your insurance business, examine to make sure contractors are accredited, talk to a good deal of thoughts, and if you think a contractor is not in right here for the suitable explanations, phone regulation enforcement.”
Alabamians who desire to report considerations of alleged fraud or rate gouging can fill out an online criticism at www.alabamaag.gov by way of the “Consumer Complaint” tab or simply call the Lawyer General’s Office Shopper Interest Division at 1-800-392-5658.
For more information and facts about home mend licensing or fraudulent contractors, people can also make contact with the Household Builders Licensure Board at (334) 242-2230 or 1-800-304-0853.